Wednesday, 12 March 2014

DIY open terrarium

Hello! Been away a while, getting the house sorted [a never-ending task!] and the sunny weather has made me even more plant-crazed than usual. I finally got around to re-filling my glass dish left over from an earlier post: DIY bottle garden.

The dish is Blomster [£12] and the pebbles are Knaster [75p] from Ikea.

The pebbles create a drainage layer, and cactus compost is a sandy mix so the plants don't get water-logged. I had some succulent and cacti plants left over from my post DIY re-purposed vintage light terrarium and a few other little ones around the house. These types of plant are perfect for an open terrarium as they thrive in dry conditions and don't require constant moisture like ferns and other closed terrarium or bottle garden plants. This also makes them a lot harder to kill! They also don't have very deep roots so are perfect for a decorative arrangement like this in a shallow container...


After loosening up the roots, I arranged them on top of the pebbles and filled the gaps with soil. I like the finished product but think it needs some sand or stones on top to hide the soil. Once I've found something suitable I'll post a picture. In the meantime I'm just going to see if the plants spread out a bit!

I've also bought one of these fun Sky Planters by Boskke [after running out of worktop space!!!] and have put a spider plant in it; when it's grown a bit I'll take some photos...



No comments:

Post a Comment